Chambersburg, borough (1990 pop. 16,647), seat of Franklin co., S Pa.; settled 1730, inc. 1803. Food products, apparel, construction materials, and transportation equipment are produced. Chambersburg was the headquarters of abolitionist John Brown in 1859 and of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee before the battle of Gettysburg. The town was raided by Confederate cavalry in July, 1864, when it was burned after refusing to pay an indemnity of $100,000 in gold. It is the seat of Wilson College.