Delaware and Raritan Canal (dĕlˈəwâr, –wər; rârˈĭtən) [key], abandoned canal, 45 mi (72 km) long, between Bordentown and New Brunswick, N.J., connecting the Delaware and the Raritan rivers; opened in 1834. Once an important inland waterway, it was superseded by the railroads in the latter half of the 19th cent.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.