Ellicott City, village (1990 pop. 41,396), seat of Howard co., in Baltimore and Howard cos., central Md., on the Patapsco River; settled 1774 as Ellicott Mills, inc. and renamed 1867, reverted to uninc. status 1935. The community grew up around the Ellicott flour mills, and became a trade and manufacturing center in an agricultural area; it is now a retail antiques center. The exterior of the landmark stone Baltimore & Ohio station has changed little since the first horse-cars were hauled here from Baltimore on May 24, 1830; the station is now a museum. Doughoregan Manor (c.1735–1745) was the home of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence. Other notable sights include the Log Cabin (c.1780) and Angelo Cottage (c.1831). Patapsco State Park is nearby.
More on Ellicott City from Fact Monster:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. Political Geography