Fort Laramie National Historic Site (lârˈəmē) [key], 833 acres (337 hectares), SE Wyo.; est. 1938. Founded in 1834 as a fur-trading post by William Sublette and Robert Campbell, it was bought by the American Fur Company in 1836. In 1849 it became a U.S. army post, which later served as a major stopping place on the Overland Trail. The fort was garrisoned until 1890. See National Parks and Monuments, table.