Fort Lee, residential borough (1990 pop. 31,997), Bergen co., NE N.J., on the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River; settled c.1700, inc. 1904. The Revolutionary War fort built here to command the Hudson was abandoned on Nov. 20, 1776, after Fort Washington, on the opposite shore, fell to the British. Fort Lee was an early center of the motion-picture industry. It is the western terminus of the George Washington Bridge.