Fullerton, city (1990 pop. 114,144), Orange co., S Calif., SE of Los Angeles; founded 1887, inc. 1904. The city is named for George H. Fullerton, head of a land company, who arranged to route the San Diego–Los Angeles–Santa Fe RR through the settlement in 1888. Oil was discovered near Fullerton in 1892, but the city's main growth came with the construction of the Santa Ana Freeway in the 1950s. Among Fullerton's manufactures are aerospace equipment, canned foods, electrical and electronic components, navigation systems, and laboratory instruments. There are also oil wells. The city is the seat of California State Univ. Fullerton and Fullerton College. Muckenthaler Center houses two symphony orchestras, a theater group, and art galleries.