Johnson City. 1 Village (1990 pop. 16,890), Broome co., S N.Y., in a tricity area including Endicott and Binghamton; inc. 1892. It has been noted for its Endicott-Johnson shoes. Originally called Lestershire, the area remained rural until a shoe company built a factory there in 1890. The name was changed in 1916. The chief manufactures are computer, electrical, and photographic equipment.
2 City (1990 pop. 49,381), Washington co., NE Tenn., in a mountainous region; settled before 1800, inc. 1869. In a rich hardwood, mineral (zinc and iron deposits), and agricultural (strawberries, tobacco, and corn) area, its diverse manufactures include metal and wood products, textiles, and furniture. East Tennessee State Univ. is in the city, as is the oldest church in the state (built 1782). Nearby is Rocky Mount historic shrine, a log cabin (built 1770) that served (1790–92) as the first capitol of the territory south of the Ohio River. Four Tennessee Valley Authority lakes in the area offer recreation.
3 Town (1990 pop. 932), seat of Blanco co., central Tex. It is the site of the "LBJ Ranch," known as the Texas White House when Lyndon B. Johnson was president. The Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park (see National Parks and Monuments, table) includes Johnson's boyhood home in the town. His birthplace and the family cemetery where he is buried are nearby the ranch.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.