Kitty Hawk or Kittyhawk, part of an offshore sandbar on Cape Hatteras, NE N.C., E of Albemarle Sound. Nearby is Kill Devil Hill, where the Wright brothers experimented successfully (1900–1903) with gliders and airplanes. Wright Brothers National Memorial (see National Parks and Monuments, table), commemorating their first successful flight, is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Kitty Hawk from Fact Monster:
- Early 20th-century developments in human flight - Early 20th-century developments in human flight Kitty Hawk to World War II The Wright brothers near ...
- North Carolina - Information on North Carolina — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- 1900 – 1909 World History - 1900 – 1909 World History Sigmund Freud (1856–1939) Leo Baeck Inst./Archive Photos ...
- The Wright Brothers Centennial - Information about the Wright Brothers
- Famous Firsts in Aviation - Famous Firsts in Aviation Cayley's Helicopter Wilbur and Orville Wright with their second ...