Lake George, village (1990 est. pop. 1,100), seat of Warren co., E N.Y.; inc. 1903. Situated on the southern tip of Lake George in the foothills of the Adirondack Mts., it has been a popular vacation site since the mid-1800s and is now a year-round tourist and sports center. Vestiges of Fort William Henry, built by Sir William Johnson, and Fort George are in the village. A state underwater preserve, whose sunken wrecks include one dating from the French and Indian War, is located nearby in the lake.