Lewiston. 1 City (1990 pop. 28,082), seat of Nez Perce co., NW Idaho, at the Wash. line and at the junction of the Snake and Clearwater rivers; founded 1861. It is the commercial and industrial center of a timber, grain, and livestock region that also has lime, clay, and silica deposits. The city has food-processing plants and produces pulp and paper, lumber, and small-arms ammunition. Lewis and Clark camped there in 1805. At nearby Lapwai, Henry H. Spalding established (1836) a mission and operated the first printing press in the Pacific Northwest. Lewiston grew as a supply and shipping center after gold was discovered on the Clearwater River. It was the first capital (1863–64) of Idaho Territory and had the first newspaper, the Golden Age (1862), in Idaho. Lewis-Clark State College is in the city. 2 Industrial city (1990 pop. 39,757), Androscoggin co., SW Maine, on the Androscoggin River opposite Auburn; inc. 1795. A 50-ft (15-m) waterfall supplied power for early textile mills; there is diversified industry. Bates College and the Memorial Armoury (1927), with its large auditoriums, are in Lewiston. Nearby is a bird sanctuary.