Lookout, Cape, point of a sandy reef (Core Banks), off E N.C., SW of Cape Hatteras. The reef guards the port entrance to Beaufort and Morehead City. A lighthouse on the point was built in 1859 and is included in Cape Lookout National Seashore (see National Parks and Monuments, table).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cape Lookout from Fact Monster:
- Outer Banks - Outer Banks Outer Banks or the Banks,chain of sand barrier islands and peninsulas, c.175 mi (280 ...
- national parks and monuments - national parks and monuments. national parks and monuments. The National Park Service, a bureau of ...
- North Carolina - Information on North Carolina — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- North Carolina: Geography - Geography The eastern end of North Carolina juts out from the East Coast of the United States into ...
- Encyclopedia: U.S. National Park System - Encyclopeadia articles concerning U.S. National Park System.