McKinney, city (1990 pop. 21,283), seat of Collin co., N Tex.; inc. 1849. It is a shipping point for cotton, cattle, and grains. Manufacturing includes electronic equipment, leather and food products, marble items, and copper wire. Located on the blackland prairie, it was one of the principal cotton cities before the Civil War. The restored 1836 home of Collin McKinney, for whom the city was named, is there. A wildlife sanctuary and a museum of natural science are nearby.