Milledgeville, city (1990 pop. 17,727), seat of Baldwin co., central Ga., on the Oconee River, in a fertile farm area; inc. 1836. Among its industries are the manufacture of clothing, carpets, and aircraft parts. Laid out in 1803 as the site of the state capital, Milledgeville was the seat of government from 1807 to 1868. Many antebellum homes survive, including the old executive mansion (1838) and the old state capitol (1807), now part of Georgia Military College. The city is also the site of Georgia College & State University and Central State Hospital, founded in 1842.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.