Newburgh (nōˈbərg, nyōˈ–) [key], city (1990 pop. 26,454), Orange co., SE N.Y., on the west bank of the Hudson River, opposite Beacon; settled 1709 by Palatine Germans, inc. 1800. The city has become an area wholesale and trucking center that ships fruit and dairy products. Manufactures include transportation equipment, machinery, scientific instruments, apparel, and plastic and metal products. Newburgh has many historic structures, and serious preservation efforts began in the 1990s. Hasbrouck House (1750; now a museum) was Washington's headquarters from Apr., 1782, to Aug., 1783. It was in Newburgh that the Continental Army was disbanded. Mt. St. Mary College is in the city. West Point is located a few miles to the south.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.