Oil City, city (1990 pop. 11,949), Venango co., NW Pa., on the Allegheny River; inc. 1871. The city was founded after Edwin L. Drake struck (1859) oil nearby in Titusville. It was a refining and shipping center for the state's oil industry and a producer of oil-field equipment until the last of the oil companies left the city in the mid-1990s. Manufactures include continuous-casting equipment, plastics, aluminum castings, motor oil, machinery, antioxidants, and steel tubing.