Point Roberts, uninc. town (1990 pop. 750), Whatcom co., NW Wash., on the Strait of Georgia near the tip of the Point Roberts peninsula, extending south from British Columbia, Canada, and separated from the Washington mainland by Boundary Bay. There is dairying, cattle raising, and tourism, as well as the manufacture of machinery parts and electronic components. The point was visited and named in 1792 by Captain George Vancouver. The town can be reached overland from the United States only by going through British Columbia, or by private boat. There is ferry service from nearby Tsawwassan to Swartz Bay, on Vancouver Island.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.