Saint John the Divine, Cathedral of, New York City, the world's largest Gothic cathedral. The Episcopal cathedral was begun in 1892 in the Byzantine-Romanesque style after designs by G. L. Heins and C. Grant La Farge. In 1911, plans for the cathedral were altered and a French Gothic style was adopted according to the design of Ralph Adams Cram. The nave was built (1916–43), and in 1941 the entire length of the cathedral was opened for the first time. Interrupted by World War II, work on the cathedral did not resume until 1979, when the stoneyard was dedicated. Three years later, construction of the north and south towers resumed. Work was again halted a decade later when funds for the project were exhausted. In 1999 officials announced that plans for future construction had been canceled and that efforts would be concentrated on repair and preservation of the existing structure. The north wing of the cathedral was damaged by fire in 2001. In addition to worship services, the cathedral has schools, social projects, artist-in-residence and textile conservation programs, guest speakers and performers, and more.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.