Saint Marys City, village (1990 pop. 3,200), St. Marys co., S Md., on the St. Marys River; est. 1634 as Maryland's first town. English colonists purchased a Native American village, renamed it St. Marys, and built Fort St. George. The first state assembly met there (1635). It remained the provincial capital until replaced (1694) by Annapolis.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.