Saratoga Springs, resort and residential city (1990 pop. 25,001), Saratoga co., E N.Y.; inc. as a village 1826, as a city 1915. Skidmore College is the largest source of employment, but the city also has light manufacturing. The last battle of the Saratoga campaign was fought near the city in 1777. The nearby Saratoga National Historical Park embraces the battlefield. After the American Revolution, as the fame of its carbonated mineral waters spread, the village became a health resort. In the 19th cent., Saratoga Springs was one of the most popular social and sporting centers in America. Horse racing, which continues to be one of its major attractions, was begun after 1863.
Of interest are the racetrack, racing museum and hall of fame, and many old buildings and homes, including the Casino (1867), a former gambling establishment that now houses two museums; Yaddo, the renowned artists' colony, is also there. An elaborate state-owned spa (1935) preserves and utilizes the waters and offers curative baths. Saratoga Spa state park, summer home of the Philadelphia Orchestra and, formerly, the New York City Ballet, is south of the city; the dance hall of fame and museum are also there. The State Univ. of New York's Empire State College is in the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.