South Saint Paul, city (1990 pop. 20,197), Dakota co., SE Minn., a suburb of St. Paul, on the Mississippi River; inc. 1887. It was long known for its large stockyards and meatpacking industries. The first stockyard opened in 1887, and its public livestock market on the banks of the Mississippi was one of the nation's largest, but the last of the stockyards closed in 2008. Industry has grown to include the manufacture of parachute safety systems, metal products, and hydrants and valves. There is pork and cowhide processing. The city was settled in 1853 on the site of a Native American village.