Stamford, city (1990 pop. 108,056), Fairfield co., SW Conn., on Long Island Sound; settled 1641, inc. 1893 as a city within the town of Stamford (the two were consolidated in 1949). A variety of light industrial goods are produced there, such as machinery, fabricated metal products, and chemicals. Since the 1970s, Stamford has become home to numerous corporate headquarters that moved here from New York City. It is also a residential community for many New York City commuters. Cummings Park is on the sound. The sanctuary of the First Presbyterian Church was designed by Wallace K. Harrison and built (1958) in the shape of a whale. The Stamford Museum has a nature center and an observatory. A branch of the Univ. of Connecticut is in the city.