Sulphur, city (1990 pop. 20,125), Calcasieu parish, SW La.; inc. 1914. It is a trade center for an area producing natural gas, oil, and timber as well as sorghum, soybeans, cattle, and crawfish. Industry centers chiefly around petroleum products, chemicals, and related enterprises. Engines, concrete products, machinery, and lumber are also manufactured. The city was named for a sulfur dome that was mined from 1894 to 1924. In 1924 oil was discovered nearby.