Suwannee (swôˈnē, swäˈ–) [key], river, c.240 mi (390 km) long, rising in the Okefenokee Swamp, SE Ga., and winding generally S through N Fla. to the Gulf of Mexico; it is dredged to accommodate shallow-draft vessels for 135 mi (217 km) upstream. Its name was used in Stephen Foster's famous song "Old Folks at Home" (or "Swanee River").
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Suwannee from Fact Monster:
- - Can't read file florida/suwannee-county/default.html
- Okefenokee Swamp - Okefenokee Swamp Okefenokee Swamp , c.600 sq mi (1,550 sq km), c.40 mi (60 km) long and averaging ...
- Swanee - Swanee Swanee, river: see Suwannee.
- Florida - Information on Florida — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau - Florida Atlas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau Florida QuickFacts · Demographic · ...