Taos (tous) [key], town (1990 pop. 4,065), alt. c.7,000 ft (2,130 m), seat of Taos co., N N.Mex., between the Rio Grande and the Sangre de Cristo Mts.; founded c.1615, inc. 1934. In an area of pueblos and scenic beauty, Taos developed as an art colony (principally after 1898) and attracted many painters and writers, notably John Marin and D. H. Lawrence. Artist organizations and galleries include the Harwood Foundation (gallery, studios, and school; operated by the Univ. of New Mexico). The town was founded in the early 17th cent. by Spaniards. For many years, Taos was an important Native American and Spanish trading point. It was the center of the Pueblo revolt (1680) and of a Native American uprising (1847). Kit Carson's grave and preserved house (1825) are there. The city is also the headquarters for Carson National Forest.