Ticonderoga (tĪˌkŏndərōˈgə) [key], resort village (1990 pop. 2,770), Essex co., NE N.Y., on a neck of land between lakes George and Champlain; settled in the 17th cent., inc. 1889. At Ticonderoga and nearby Crown Point, several battles in the French and Indian Wars took place. Fort Carillon, built there by the French in 1755, was successfully defended by Montcalm against James Abercromby in 1758, but it fell to Jeffery Amherst in 1759, when it was renamed Fort Ticonderoga. It was captured (May 10, 1775) by a detachment of Green Mountain Boys under Ethan Allen and troops commanded by Benedict Arnold. In the Saratoga campaign it was abandoned (1777) without a fight by Arthur St. Clair to John Burgoyne. The British gave up the fort after the campaign but reoccupied it for a short time in 1780. The fort was restored as a museum in 1909. The headquarters of the New York State Historical Association is at Ticonderoga; the building is a reproduction of John Hancock's house and contains collections of historical material and paintings. A ferry crosses Lake Champlain to Shoreham, Vt.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.