Verde (vûrdˈē, vĕrdˈē) [key], river, c.190 mi (310 km) long, rising in central Ariz. and flowing S to the Salt River. The valley supported early Native American civilizations and is dotted with ruins, such as those at Tuzigoot National Monument (see National Parks and Monuments, table). Bartlett and Horseshoe dams are on the Verde River.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Verde from Fact Monster:
- Cape Verde - Verde, Cape Verde, Cape [Port.,=green], Fr. Cap Vert, peninsula, extending into the Atlantic Ocean, ...
- Palos Verdes Estates - Palos Verdes Estates Palos Verdes Estates , city (1990 pop. 13,512), Los Angeles co., S Calif.; ...
- Mesa Verde National Park - Mesa Verde National Park Mesa Verde National Park , 52,122 acres (21,109 hectares), SW Colorado; ...
- Cape Verde - Information on Cape Verde — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- verd antique - verd antique: verd antique: see serpentine.