Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, former major military hospital complex in Washington, D.C., and Forest Glen, Md. The original facility, Walter Reed General Hospital, named for U.S. army surgeon Walter Reed, opened in 1909. An army medical center was officially established in 1923, and the hospital and medical center were combined in 1951. Its facilities were greatly expanded in 1972. The medical center was closed in 2011; its staff and services were integrated with the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., to form the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center at Bethesda, and with other medical facilities.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Walter Reed Army Medical Center from Fact Monster:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Miscellaneous U.S. Geography