White Sulphur Springs, town (1990 pop. 2,779), Greenbrier co., SE W.Va., in the Allegheny Mts. near the Virginia border; settled c.1750. A mineral springs health resort since early 1800s, it is the site of The Greenbrier, a historic hotel whose grounds conceal a formerly secret two-story underground bunker built (1958; decommissioned 1995) to house Congress during a nuclear war. An 1830s spring house and a national fish hatchery are there, and national and state forests are nearby.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.