whirlwind, revolving mass of air resulting from local atmospheric instability, such as that caused by intense heating of the ground by the sun on a hot summer day. Examples of whirlwinds are waterspouts, tornadoes, small whirls of dust or leaves, and the sand whirls of the desert, called dust devils or dust whirls.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on whirlwind from Fact Monster:
- dust devil - dust devil: dust devil: see whirlwind.
- Jay W. Forrester - Jay W. Forrester Born: 1918 Birthplace: Climax, Nebraska Multicoordinated digital information ...
- Wilfrid Scawen Blunt - Blunt, Wilfrid Scawen Blunt, Wilfrid Scawen , 1840–1922, English poet and political writer. ...
- Planes: The Spirit of St. Louis - All about the Spirit of St. Louis
- Mike Tyson - Tyson, Mike Tyson, Mike (Michael Gerald Tyson), 1966–, American boxer, b. Brooklyn, N.Y. At ...