Amara (ämäˈrä) [key], town (1987 pop. 208,797), SE Iraq, on the Tigris River. It is a river port and a marketplace for rice, dates, grains, produce, wool, hides, and livestock.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Amara from Fact Monster:
- Kut-el-Amara - Kut-el-Amara: Kut-el-Amara: see Al Kut, Iraq.
- Al Kut - Al Kut Al Kut , town, SE Iraq, on the Tigris River. It is a port and a market center for grains, ...
- quassia - quassia quassia , name for several tropical trees and for a bitter extract from their bark. The ...
- Current Government Officials: Liberia - World > Heads of State Info Liberia Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...
- Encyclopedia: Iraq Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Iraq Political Geography.