Australian Alps, chain of mountain ranges, SE Australia, making up the southern part of the Eastern Highlands and forming the watershed between the Murray River system and streams flowing into the Tasman Sea. It is the site of the Snowy Mts. hydroelectric project. Mt. Kosciusko (7,316 ft/2230 m) in the Australian Alps is the highest peak in Australia.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Australian Alps from Fact Monster:
- Australian Alps - Alps, Australian: Alps, Australian: see Australian Alps.
- Mount Kosciusko - Kosciusko, Mount Kosciusko, Mount , 7,316 ft (2,230 m) high, SE New South Wales, Australia, in the ...
- Murrumbidgee - Murrumbidgee Murrumbidgee , river, c.1,050 mi (1,690 km) long, rising in the Australian Alps, SE ...
- Snowy Mountains - Snowy Mountains Snowy Mountains, range of the Australian Alps, SE Australia. It is the site of the ...
- Mount Townsend - Townsend, Mount Townsend, Mount, 7,260 ft (2,213 m) high, SE New South Wales, in the Australian ...