Basseterre, town (1990 est. pop. 15,500), capital of St. Kitts and Nevis, on St. Kitts island, West Indies. It is one of the chief commercial depots of the Leeward Islands. Sugar refining is the leading industry. Basseterre was founded by the French in 1627.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Basseterre from Fact Monster:
- St. Kitts and Nevis - Information on St. Kitts and Nevis — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis - Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Kitts and Nevis or Saint Kitts–Nevis, officially Federation of ...
- MEXICO, CENTRAL AMERICA, AND THE CARIBBEAN - From the high, snowy mountains and hot, arid deserts of northern Mexico, south to the lush tropical forests of Nicaragua’s Atlantic coast, this is a r
- Encyclopedia: Caribbean Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Caribbean Political Geography.
- Area and Population of Countries - Area and Population of Countries (mid-2006 estimates) Country Capital Area (in sq mi) Population ...