Bedfordshire or Bedford, former county, central England. Also called Beds, it was abolished as a government authority in 2009. The county seat was Bedford. The county was a refuge for Protestants from the European continent during the English civil war.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bedfordshire from Fact Monster:
- Beds - Beds Beds, England: see Bedfordshire.
- In the News from Fact Monster - News headlines on world and current events, science, technology, nature, animals
- Luton - Luton Luton , city (1991 pop. 163,209), S central England on the Lea River. The largest city of ...
- Woburn, village, England - Woburn Woburn , village, Bedfordshire, S central England. It is famous for Woburn Abbey (seat of ...
- Science News - News Headlines on Science, Technology, and Nature