Belleau Wood (bĕlˈō, bĕlōˈ) [key], forested area in Aisne dept., N France, E of Château-Thierry. The scene of a victory over the Germans after hard fighting (June 6–25, 1918), involving chiefly U.S. troops, it was dedicated in 1923 as a permanent memorial to the American war dead.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.