Belmopan (bĕlˌmōpänˈ) [key], city (1993 est. pop. 3,900), E Belize, capital of Belize. A new city, it was constructed on the Belize R., 50 mi (80 km) inland from the former capital of then British Honduras, the port of Belize City, after that city's near destruction by a hurricane in 1961. The government was moved to Belmopan in 1970. The National Assembly Building's design is based on an ancient Mayan motif.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Belmopan from Fact Monster:
- Belize - Information on Belize — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Belize - Belize Belize , independent state within the Commonwealth of Nations (2005 est. pop. 279,500), ...
- Belize City - Belize City Belize City, capital (1993 est. pop. 47,724) of Belize dist., Belize, at the mouth of ...
- Encyclopedia: Belize Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Belize Political Geography.
- The Infoplease Crossword Puzzle: Name That Country! - by Kelly Ann Buchanan Solve our weekly interactive crossword puzzle! Click "Reveal" for ...