Bergamo (bĕrˈgämō) [key], city (1991 pop. 114,936), capital of Bergamo prov., in Lombardy, N Italy, in the foothills of the Alps. It is an industrial center and an agricultural market. Manufactures include machinery, textiles, and cement. Originally a Gallic town, Bergamo became an independent commune in the 12th cent. It came under the rule (1329–1427) of the Visconti and then of Venice until 1797, when it was included in the Cisalpine Republic. Bergamo is divided into two sections: the old, hilltop town and the modern, lower sector. Noteworthy buildings in the old town include a Romanesque church (12th cent.), the beautiful Renaissance Colleoni chapel (15th cent.), and a 14th-century baptistery.