Boa Vista (bōˈə vēshˈtə) [key], city (1996 pop. 154,166), capital of Roraima state, NW Brazil, on the Rio Branco. Its economy is based on the processing and shipment of minerals (gold, bauxite, diamonds, and gold) found in the surrounding region. Primary manufactures are alcohol and petroleum, construction goods, and metal products. Boa Vista became the capital of Roraima when it was created (as the federal territory of Rio Branco) in 1943.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Boa Vista from Fact Monster:
- Cape Verde - Cape Verde Cape Verde , Port. Cabo Verde, officially Republic of Cape Verde, republic (2005 est. ...
- Rio de Janeiro, city, Brazil: Points of Interest - Points of Interest Examples of Rio's famous modern architecture are the ministry of education, ...
- Cape Verde: Land and People - Land and People Cape Verde's islands fall into two main groups—the Barlavento, or ...
- Roraima - Roraima Roraima , state (1996 pop. 247,724), 88,843 sq mi (230,103 sq km), NW Brazil, on the border ...
- Cape Verde - Information on Cape Verde — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.