Butaritari (bətärēˈtärē) [key], also known as Makinmāˈkĭn, mŭgˈĭn, triangular atoll (4.5 sq mi/11.7 sq km; 1990 pop. 3,786), central Pacific, in the Gilbert Islands and part of the Republic of Kiribati. The town of Butaritari on the southernmost islet is a port of entry. Butaritari became a part of the British colony of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands in 1915. During World War II it was the first central Pacific island to be regained by the Allies (Nov., 1943). Butaritari was formerly called Pitt Island.