Caledonian Canal, waterway, c.60 mi (100 km) long, cutting across Highland, N Scotland, from Moray Firth to Loch Linnhe by way of the Great Glen. It was built in two phases (1803–22 and 1843–47; opened 1822) to save shallow-draft vessels the circuitous route around N Scotland. Of the waterway, 38 mi (61 km) consists of the natural waters of Lochs Ness, Oich, and Lochy. The canal has 29 locks and is used primarily for fishing and leisure boating.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.