Cameroon, Mount (kămˈərōn) [key], active volcano, 13,354 ft (4,070 m) high, in the Cameroon Highlands, W Cameroon; highest point in W Africa. The mountain and surrounding area are in Mt. Cameroon National Park (est. 2010). The western side of the mountain receives an average annual rainfall of more than 400 in. (1,016 cm) and is covered with tropical rain forest. Cocoa, banana, rubber, and tea plantations are found on the lower slopes. The volcano last erupted in 1999.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mount Cameroon from Fact Monster:
- Mary Henrietta Kingsley - Mary Henrietta Kingsley explorer Born: 1862 Birthplace: London, England Mary Kingsley led a quiet ...
- Cameroon - Information on Cameroon — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Recent Volcanic Activity - Recent Volcanic Activity (Bold indicates activity in 2007, 2008, and 2009) The following table ...
- Recent Volcanic Activity - Recent volcanic activity around the world.
- Sao Tome and Principe - Sao Tome and Principe Profile: Geography, People, History, Government, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Sao Tomean Relations