Caravaca de la Cruz (käräväˈkä dā lä krōs) [key], town (1990 pop. 23,241), Murcia prov., SE Spain, in Murcia, on the Caravaca River. It is a farm center for an area producing cereals, potatoes, fruits, and grapes. It has textile, footwear, and brandy manufactures. The miraculous Cross of Caravaca, taken from the Moors in 1241 by Ferdinand III of Castile, was formerly kept in the Church of the Most Holy Cross (1617). Many ancient remains have been found in the area.