Carmarthen

Carmarthen (kərmärˈħən) [key], Welsh Caerfyrddin, town (1981 pop. 13,860), Carmarthenshire, S Wales, on the Tywi (Towy) River. It is a port for small vessels, a transportation hub, a cattle market, and a dairy center. In the Middle Ages, Carmarthen was an important wool port. Its old castle (now in ruins) was the headquarters of Welsh chieftains. Carmarthen's parish church of St. Peter (14th cent.) is also noteworthy. A campus of the Univ. of Wales Trinity St. David is there.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

More on Carmarthen from Fact Monster:

  • Gower - Gower Gower , Welsh Gwyr, peninsula, c.15 mi (24 km) long and 5 mi (8 km) wide, Swansea, S Wales, ...
  • Bristol Channel - Bristol Channel Bristol Channel, inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, c.85 mi (140 km) long and from 5 to ...
  • Danby, Thomas Osborne, earl of - Danby, Thomas Osborne, earl of Danby, Thomas Osborne, earl of, 1631–1712, English statesman. ...
  • Wales: History - History Early History Welsh tradition stretches back into prehistory (see Celt; Great Britain). In ...
  • Encyclopedia: British and Irish Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning British and Irish Political Geography.

See more Encyclopedia articles on: British and Irish Political Geography