Chełmno (khĕlmˈnô) [key], Ger. Kulm, city (1993 est. pop. 21,600), Kujawsko-Pomorskie prov., N central Poland. Its industries manufacture iron goods and beer. It was founded by Teutonic Knights in 1231, passed to Poland in 1466, and was included in Prussia in 1772. It reverted to Poland in 1919. Among its historic buildings are two Gothic churches and a 16th-century town hall.