Cherkessk (chĭrkĕskˈ) [key], city (1989 pop. 113,000), capital of Karachay-Cherkess Republic, Stavropol Territory, SE European Russian, on the Kuban River. Founded in 1825 as Batalpashinsk, it manufactures electrical equipment and shoes and has food-processing plants.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cherkessk from Fact Monster:
- Batalpashinsk - Batalpashinsk: Batalpashinsk: see Cherkessk, Russia.
- Stavropol Territory - Stavropol Territory Stavropol Territory, administrative division (1995 pop. 2,650,000), 31,120 sq ...
- Karachay-Cherkess Republic - Karachay-Cherkess Republic Karachay-Cherkess Republic , constituent republic (1990 est. pop. ...
- Kuban - Kuban Kuban , river, c.570 mi (920 km) long, rising in the Greater Caucasus on the western slopes ...
- Encyclopedia: CIS and Baltic Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning CIS and Baltic Political Geography.