Chigirin (chĭgĭrēnˈ) [key], Ukr. Chyhyryn, city, central Ukraine, on the Tyasmin River, a tributary of the Dnieper. Founded in 1589 as a fortress, Chigirin served as the residence of the hetman of Ukraine from 1649 (when it was so designated by the Treaty of Zborov between Hetman Bohdan Chmielnicki and the Polish king) until 1687. It was thus the capital of right-bank Ukraine. The city passed to Russia in 1795.