Craigavon, town (1991 pop. 11,000) and district, S central Northern Ireland. Craigavon was designated one of the new towns in 1962, primarily to stimulate economic growth. Named after Northern Ireland's first prime minister, James Craig, the town has important fruit-growing and livestock industries. Other manufactures include textiles, metal fabrication, food processing, pharmaceuticals, and automotive parts. The Craigavon district is a major economic center in Northern Ireland.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Craigavon from Fact Monster:
- Craigavon, James Craig, 1st Viscount - Craigavon, James Craig, 1st Viscount Craigavon, James Craig, 1st Viscount , 1871–1940, Irish ...
- James Craig - Craig, James: Craig, James: see Craigavon, James Craig, 1st Viscount.
- Portadown - Portadown Portadown , town (1991 pop. 21,333), Craigavon dist., central Northern Ireland, on the ...
- new towns - new towns new towns, planned urban communities in Great Britain, developed by long-term loans from ...
- Encyclopedia: British and Irish Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning British and Irish Political Geography.