Curtea de Arges (kŏrˈtāä dā ärˈzhĕsh) [key], town (1990 pop. 32,551), S central Romania, in Walachia, on the southern slope of the Transylvanian Alps. A district administrative and trade center, it has industries producing pottery and wood products. Curtea de Arges served (1330–1430) as the seat of the dukes of Walachia and became (18th cent.) an Orthodox bishopric. Its 16th-century Byzantine cathedral (rebuilt 19th cent.) became the burial place of the kings of Romania.