Dortmund (dôrtˈmŏnt) [key], city (1994 pop. 602,000), North Rhine–Westphalia, W Germany, a port on the Dortmund-Ems Canal. It is an industrial center in the Ruhr district. Its manufactures include steel, machinery, and beer, and it is a growing high-technology and research center. First mentioned c.885, Dortmund flourished from the 13th cent. as a member of the Hanseatic League but later (17th cent.) declined. From the mid-19th cent. the city grew as an industrial center. It was badly damaged during World War II but has been rebuilt; many historic sites have been restored. Outstanding buildings include the Reinold church (begun in the 13th cent.) and a large convention hall (Ger. Westfalenhalle ), built from 1950 to 1952. The city has a university and a teachers college.