Downing Street, Westminster, London, England. On the street are the British Foreign Office and, at No. 10, the residence of the first lord of the Treasury, who is usually (although not necessarily) the prime minister of Great Britain. Since nearly all prime ministers from the time of Robert Walpole (18th cent.) have lived at No. 10, it has come to designate the British government.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Downing Street from Fact Monster:
- Monster Jokes - Silly jokes about special beasties
- Albert Reynolds - Reynolds, Albert Reynolds, Albert, 1935–, Irish politician, prime minister of the Republic of ...
- City of Westminster - Westminster, City of Westminster, City of, inner borough (1991 pop. 181,500) of Greater London, SE ...
- Margaret Thatcher - Biography of Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of Great Britain, 1979-90
- Deadly Insects: Killer Bees and Termites Wreak Havoc - Deadly Insects Killer bees, termites wreak havoc in the U.S. by David Johnson Killer bees have ...