East Indies, name formerly used for the Malay Archipelago, but also more restrictively for Indonesia and more widely to include SE Asia. It once referred chiefly to India.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on East Indies from Fact Monster:
- Macao: The Portuguese Colonial Empire Comes to An End - Portugal: End of an Empire The Portuguese colonial empire comes to a close by Borgna Brunner On ...
- Netherlands East Indies - Netherlands East Indies: Netherlands East Indies: see Indonesia.
- Dutch East Indies - Dutch East Indies: Dutch East Indies: see Indonesia.
- Indonesia - Information on Indonesia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Indies - Indies: Indies: see East Indies; West Indies.